Donor: EU – PHARE
Budget: 3,680,000 EUR
The overall objective of the project was to improve the environmental infrastructure of the concerned localities in Romania, according to EU standards. This was achieved by the following specific objectives:
- Ensure compliance with the national and EU legislation within the transition period agreed between Romania and the EU for the environmental sector;
- Ensure the optimal utilisation of the EU funds;
- Assist the project promoters in development of local capacity for future project development;
- Definition of a long-term investment programme.
The intervention was divided into six main phases:
- Preparation of 5 projects up to the point where they can be proposed for EU co-financing;
- Ensure elaboration of efficient public procurement and implementation plans and preparation of tender documents;
- Provision of on-the-job training of staff from the future FB’s which will be responsible for project implementation on all stages of the project preparation;
- Assistance in establishment and setting up of the PIU’s.
- Environmentally sound water projects developed;
- High quality preparatory measures for elaboration of the preliminary design of the planned works for the individual projects undertaken;
- Local capacity for project preparation and implementation increased;
- Long-term investment program for the water (and wastewater) sector for each project location defined.