The project provided support to the Technical Secretary of the Great Metropolitan Area Plan in charge of the Urban and Spatial Development Planning within the National Plan framework for the Great Metropolitan Area of San Jose. It covers the are in which 2 million inhabitants live out of the total 4 million population of Costa Rica.
The project was articulated around six different components:
- Realisation of Phase III of the National Plan for Urban Development, consisting in the Land Management Plan for the Great Metropolitan Area of the Costa Rica Central Valley, and creation of necessary conditions for its implementation;
- Elaboration of regulating Plans for 31 municipalities, in line with the Great Metropolitan Area Plan and Directives;
- Formulation of Metropolitan Directives and operative conditions in 4 metropolitan areas;
- Improvement of the urban culture of the population;
- Capacity building to state and local institutions for the urban planning management through training and diffusion.