Donor: WBIF Program Regional
Client: World Bank
The project is designed to provide Technical Assistance for the implementation of an integrated flood and drought forecasting system and a system for the dissemination of warnings, covering the complete Sava River Basin.
The three major expected outcomes of the project are:
Outcome 1: Operational flood forecasting and early warning system with installations in the riparian Sava River Basin countries Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia, Slovenia and Croatia.
Outcome 2: Well trained staff in each of Riparian Countries.
Outcome 3: Recommendations on future improvements of the forecasting system
Types of services provided include:
- Support for the implementation of an integrated flood and drought forecasting system and a system for the dissemination of warnings, covering the complete Sava River Basin;
- Organization of a stakeholder discussion platform for meetings and communication as well as acceptance testing
- Identification, assessment and acquisition of relevant data, models and other information for the Sava River Basin;
- Inventory of needs for the installation of the forecasting system in each of the Riparian Countries;
- Development of a distributed hydrological model covering the entire part of the Sava River Basin within the project eligible countries BA, RS and ME;
- Implementation of the flood forecasting system and warning system on one common platform – Harmonize data and methods;
- Provide predictive uncertainty and data assimilation techniques to the forecasting system;
- Test and operationalize the use of predictions;
- Operating Manuals and training of staff;
- Joint Workshops on the use of the flood forecasting system
- Recommend on future improvements of the system – gap analysis and investment program.