Client: Delegation of the European Union to BiH
Budget: 1,100,300 €
The overall objective of the project is to support the development of integrated flood risk management in BiH in line with the EU Floods Directive, thus reduce risk to human life, environment, economic and material damages caused by extreme weather and hydrological events.
The specific objective is to support the implementation of measures of the Action Plan for flood protection and river management, through consistent and coordinated development and implementation of cutting-edge tools and technologies for flood forecasting and strengthening capacities of Hydro-Meteorological Services (HMSs) and Water Agencies in BiH.
The purpose of the contract is to integrate information and communication infrastructure, and observation system in BiH to enable automatic, accurate, reliable, timely and consistent hydro-meteorological data acquisition services, data-collections store and improve access to databases and information on weather and hydrological conditions and to establish consistent hydrological flood forecasting system (HFFS) on a common IT platform to provide synoptic meteorological and hydrological services, hourly forecasts and informing on potential hazardous flood events to the responsible governmental bodies at the state and entity levels, institution in charge for flood and civil protection, and thus increase social, economic and environmental safety.
The results to be achieved are:
- Result 1: Assessment Report on legal, institutional, organisational, financial and technical environment, issues and gaps, as well as data availability and systems at HMSs.
- Result 2: A logical and physical database model for new and historic meteorological and hydrological data collections is developed.
- Result 3: The tools and services for online and offline data and metadata acquisition, quality and quantity control, database feed, post-processing and reporting are fully operational.
- Result 4: Well calibrated hydrological and hydrodynamic models and real time hydrological flood forecasting system for Bosna River are established and fully operational.
- Result 5: The staff of the two Hydro-meteorological services (HMSs), AVP Sava and PI VS, is competent to use and manage the Hydrological Flood Forecasting System (HFFS) for Bosna River.
- Result 6: An Exit Strategy for continuation and sustainability of the project results with implementation plan and tentative budget for optimisation of the hydro-meteorological observation network for flood forecasting at Entity level, as well as recommendations for further enhancement and improvements (based on the gaps identified in Result 1) developed.
- Result 7: Two HMSs are integrated and serve as each other as a backup system.