Donor: EU – PHARE
The overall objective of the project was to improve the ability of the beneficiary countries (candidate countries as of 2006) to implement and enforce the environmental acquis. This was done through supporting the countries’ participation in ECENA and IMPEL activities, as well as through tailor-made projects.
The objectives of the project were to:
- Improve the capacity of the environmental management administrations to operate effectively within an improved institutional framework;
- Assist the beneficiary countries to achieve a better implementation of the environmental acquis;
- Provide training to the Inspectorates to perform the implementation and enforcement of the environmental acquis;
- Support the beneficiary countries to achieve a better understanding of the problems and potential solutions related to implementation and enforcement of the Chapter 22.
Types of services provided within the project included:
- Institutional strengthening and capacity building of environmental management administrations;
- Support to enforcement and implementation of EU environmental acquis;
- Organisation of training programmes for environmental agencies and inspectorates;
- Provision of experts’ advice and logistics in support of the participation in ECENA and IMPEL activities.